The Novel Coronavirus: Message to ACS Families
Information on the Coronavirus
March 3, 2020
Dear Athens City Schools Families:
Athens City Schools (ACS) does NOT have a confirmed case of coronavirus in our schools. Our hearts go out to those personally affected around the globe by this virus. If this were to occur in ACS, we will notify staff and parents/guardians within the school community.
We are aware of the concerns of our community and have been following the information and guidance provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH). The school district has the ability to allow e-learning (online) days and could use this option if needed for health reasons.
We are closely monitoring the health and attendance of our students and staff. We are also working hard to keep surfaces used often as clean as possible, and soap/hand sanitizer containers full.
ACS will continue to follow CDC recommendations to prevent any infection of a respiratory virus, which includes:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick. Students should remain at home until fever has been gone for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medicines.
- Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue and place immediately in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
ACS encourages families to follow the CDC’s information for travel. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions. Email email@example.com or call the Athens City Schools Board of Education at 256.233.6600
Please help to keep our students and staff safe by staying informed, practicing good hygiene, and staying home or keeping children home if they have been running a fever or are exhibiting signs of a fever.