Takeaways from the meeting
Highlights from the Community & Parent Information Meeting
- Individual academy progress reports and updates were given by each principal.
- Research and development were discussed briefly.
- Examples of student work and possible student work were shared.
- Enrollment and out-of-zone academy application process details were shared. Learn more about academy registration, re-enrollment and applications here.
- There will be an Academy Showcase for new kindergarten families on March 1 at 6pm at the Board of Education.
- Re-enrollment for current students is April 16-May 4. This process will include the option to apply for an out-of-zone academy.
- Early registration for new kindergarten students is February 26-March 30. This process will include the option to apply for an out-of-zone academy.
- Out-of-zone academy applicants will be selected by an electronic lottery. The lottery for current students will be conducted on May 7.
- Out-of-zone academy kindergarten applicants will be selected by an electronic lottery. The lottery for new kindergarten students who register before March 30 will be conducted by the end of May.
Athens Intermediate School
- A concerted effort is underway to make sure AIS is elementary focused rather than a pre-middle school.
- Parents and community members shared ideas and gave input regarding their hopes, ideas and expectations for the redesign of AIS.
- Hot topics included the question of uniforms for students, clubs and the continuation of 4th grade as a true elementary classroom experience with one teacher.
Athens Middle School and 6th Grade Center
- AMS will move to the old AHS building in the fall of 2018.
- A dedicated 6th Grade Center will be separate from the upper grades and will have its own administrator.
- Interaction with upperclassmen will be limited.
Athens High School and 9th Grade Center
- AHS, grades 9-12, will move to the new high school campus in Fall of 2018.
- A 9th Grade Center will operate in the new high school and will have its own administrator.
- The emphasis for the 9th grade center will be to equip incoming 9th graders with the tools to be a successful student in high school and beyond.
- AHS will provide more information about the 9th grade center during the spring semester.
Athens Renaissance School
- Updated the community on the progress and expansion of the K-12 blended-virtual school.
- ARS is increasing blended options for students.
- Open houses for prospective families will be February 12 at 5:00 pm and February 22 at 5:00 pm.