Kindergarten Registration in Athens
Important Dates & Information
Kindergarten Registration for the 2021-2022 School Year is March 23-April 30.
- This registration process is for traditional kindergarten enrollment for the Athens Academies.
- Click here for Athens Renaissance School (non-traditional/blended) kindergarten enrollment.
Registration Begins. All registration is completed online only.
Academy Application Deadline (kindergarten lottery cut off date for out-of-zone academy applicants)
May 14 Academy lottery selection will be held. May 21 Selected students from the lottery will be notified of their selection via email by May 21.
Welcome! We are happy you have chosen to enroll your child in Athens City Schools. This is a very important step in your child's future, and we are confident you will be proud that you selected Athens City Schools. Click the button below to sign up to receive notifications from Athens City Schools. We will send messages related to Kindergarten Registration beginning in early spring each school year. Be sure to select "Athens City School District."
Who can enroll in kindergarten?
- Any child who is 5 on or before September 1 who lives inside the Athens City limits.
- If you have questions about zoning, please contact Mike O’Rear at email@example.com.
- Kindergarten registration in Athens City Schools is completed online through PowerSchool.
- Parents will receive a confirmation email after completing registration successfully.
Understanding Enrollment Accounts (Family Accounts)
- You will create a family account to be used for Enrollment in PowerSchool.
- This account for Enrollment is valid for the rest of time.
- Once you create your family account, save that login information for future Enrollment.
- You will use the same family Enrollment account to fill out the Returning Student form each school year.
For Families with Multiple Students
- Save your family account login information.
- You will use the same family account created for Kindergarten Enrollment for Current Student Re-Enrollment later this spring (for students who already attend an Athens City School).
- All existing student records will be associated with the same family account.
Need Help with Registration?
- Computers, assistance, and assistance in Spanish are available at the Athens City Schools Central Office Monday - Thursday from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.
- Click here for directions to the ACS Central Office or call 256-233-6600.
- Offices will be closed for Spring Break March 29-Apri 2.
About the Athens Academies Athens City Schools has four elementary schools, also known as the Athens Academies. The Athens Academies serve students in grades K-3 and provide students with an enriched school experience in preparation for advancing grade levels. Students are surrounded by teachers who are passionate about teaching meaningful content via processes that support authentic student engagement.
- iAcademy at Athens Elementary (Innovation & Computer Science)
- FAME at Brookhill Fine Arts Academy (Fine Arts)
- HEART Academy at Julian Newman (Health & Medical)
- SPARK Academy at Cowart (STEM)
About School Choice & Academy Applications (Kindergarten Lottery)
- Our kindergarten registration process provides a school choice option for parents.
- You may choose to apply for placement to attend any of the Athens Academies regardless of your school zone.
- There is an academy application (kindergarten lottery) option during the online registration process.
- If you choose to make application to attend an academy other than your designated zoned academy, those selections will be made by electronic lottery in late spring.
- The deadline to participate in the optional kindergarten academy lottery is posted each spring.
- If you do not wish to attend an out-of-zone academy, simply complete kindergarten registration for your zoned academy by the posted deadline.
STEP 1 - GET YOUR PAPERWORK READY
Documents Required to Complete Registration:
- Parent/Guardian Picture ID
- Birth Certificate (or alternative documentation in absence of a birth certificate)
- Social Security Card (Optional) If a student does not have an SSN, a temporary number shall be assigned as specified by the ALSDE.
- Alabama Immunization Record
- Proof of Residence (Current utility bill, mortgage statement or rent lease agreement. When two families reside at the same address, a Landlord Letter may be submitted).
- Proof of Custody/Guardianship - Custody papers may be required if the student doesn't reside with both birth parents. Custody/Guardianship will be made through the Judge's office. Board Policy stipulates neither Delegation of Parental Authority nor Power of Attorney will be accepted as a document for the student's legal custody. A signed Notary will not be used as a valid document for enrollment.
- Last Report Card
- K-8th grade- Last Report Card
- 9-12th grade- Unofficial Transcript
- Withdrawal form if coming from another school
STEP 2 - COMPLETE ONLINE REGISTRATION
Need Help with Registration?
- Computers, assistance, and assistance in Spanish are available at the Athens City Schools Central Office
- Monday-Thursday from 8:30 am-3:30 pm.
- Click here for directions to the ACS Central Office
- Call 256-233-6600.