Welcome to Athens Basketball
Athens High School Basketball has long history of sucess in our programs. Our program includes Varsity, JV and Freshman teams for both boys and girls. Our goal is help our student-athletes become better people, students and players. Tryouts are held in the spring of each school year.Athens High School 2020-2021 Basketball Spectator Expectations and Ticket Information:In order to remain at an athletic event, you must follow the below rules, as ordered by Governor Kay Ivey’s Proclamation in agreement with the home school administrator and the Alabama High School Athletic Association Winter Sports Best Practices for 2020-2021 guidelines. Failure to follow the rules, will result in you being asked to leave:1. No Symptoms. If you are running fever or have any COVID-19 symptoms, we appreciate your support, but please stay home and get well soon.2. Wear a Mask. All spectators must wear a mask/facial covering (unless one of the Governor’s exceptions applies).3. Social Distance. Remain at least 6 feet apart from anyone from a different household. If you are 6 feet apart from someone of a different household, a mask is not required.Fan Expectations:
- Arrive as close to the time of your child’s game as possible.
- You MUST be seated at all times except going to the restroom, concession stand, or leaving the gym. There will be NO STANDING on the rails at any time. No fans are allowed on the gym floor at any time before, during, or after the game.
- Everyone is asked to leave the gym immediately after the game.
- Anyone who does not comply with a request by security or ACS personnel, will be asked to leave the facility with no refund.
- Tickets can be purchased ONLY online through www.gofan.co
- Do not redeem or validate your ticket until you are asked to do so at the admission gate.
- Single game tickets will go on sale 1 day before the home game. There are no ticket refunds.
- AHSAA coaching cards will be accepted upon entry.
- Indoor athletic facility gates will open 45 minutes prior to the first competition.
- Visiting coaches will be responsible for monitoring their teams and ensuring all AHSAA and ADPH guidelines are followed.
- There will be NO passes out once you enter the facility.
- Visiting Cheerleaders are limited to 10 total.
- Cheerleaders will have a designated seating area.
Athens High School Contact InformationAthletic Director – Linda Moore – firstname.lastname@example.orgExecutive Principal – Willie Moore – email@example.comGirls Basketball Coach – Eddie Murphree – firstname.lastname@example.orgBoys Basketball Coach – Charles Burkett –email@example.com
- Benches will be disinfected between games.
- Benches will be moved to allow for social distancing
- Water coolers will not be provided.
- Face coverings should be worn when a player is on the bench
- Sanitizer will be available at each bench and at the scorer’s table
VARSITY GIRLS BASKETBALL
Varsity Boys Basketball Coach
Degrees and Certifications:
Master of Public Administration in Education, Jacksonville State University Bachelor of Science in Sociology/Recreation with a minor in Physical Education, Jacksonville State University
Coach Charles Burkett comes to Athens from Hoover High School where he served as the head boys basketball coach from 2006 to 2020. Prior to his career at Hoover, Burkett was the head boys basketball coach at Saks High School. He brings a winning legacy including:
12 area championships
11 area tournament championships
6 regional championships
6 Final Four appearances
1 championship runner-up
Burkett coached Hoover to their first-ever boys basketball championship in school history. Coach Burkett has won a total of 422 games while averaging 18.8 wins at Saks High School and 22.2 wins at Hoover. Burkett was named the Birmingham Tip-off Club Coach of the Year. He has assisted 30 student-athletes in continuing their athletic and educational careers at the college level, and we expect this tradition of excellence to continue at AHS.
Most importantly, Burkett has a reputation for being a program builder who is invested in the development of young men of character and excellence. He is known for his positive approach, attitude and energy, and he is committed to supporting students as they work to achieve success both on and off the court.
Varsity Girls Basketball Coach
Degrees and Certifications:
Greetings! I am currently in my 23rd year as an employee in Athens City Schools.This will be my 17th year as Head Women's Basketball Coach.I am a Athens High school class of 1991 graduate.I am married to Kristie Morgan Murphree a 1996 graduate of Athens High School.Kristie is the Librarian at Brookhill and is the Dance team coach for the Athens Middle and Athens High School squads.We have two children Morgan who attends Athens Middle school and is a member of the Dance team and James who attends Athens Intermediate School and is football and basketball manager.James also plays baseball,football,and basketball.We are a very busy family but we are active members of First Baptist Church in Athens and are involved in our community.Both of my parents were employees in Athens City Schools:Garland(Julian Newman and coaching duties throughout Athens city)Nancy(Julian Newman).Kristie's mother -Pam is 5 th grade teacher at Athens Intermediate School.We are very invested in Athens City Schools and are happy to be involved in Athens and Limestone County.
JV BOYS BASKETBALL COACH
Degrees and Certifications: