Athens Elementary Writing Contest
"Athens Elementary is a Special Place"
Athens Elementary was recently named a 2018 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the United States Secretary of Education. The coveted Blue Ribbon School award affirms the hard work of our educators, families and community in creating a safe and welcoming school where students have the opportunity to succeed. As part of our celebration of this outstanding achievement by the Athens Elementary family, we are inviting students both past and present to share their AES stories. The winners will be awarded a $50 gift card and will be asked to read their winning entry at the Blue Ribbon celebration at AES on January 31, 2019. The theme of the contest is "Athens Elementary is a Special Place."
Deadline for submissions is January 25, 2019.
Eligibility and Entry Guidelines
- Entrants must be ACS students that attended or are currently attending AES.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
- Story should be nonfiction narrative or poetry which includes a personal reflection on what makes Athens Elementary a special place.
- Guiding questions to help you:
- What is your personal connection to AES?
- What was special to you or inspired you as an AES student?
- What memories do you have that characterize AES as a special place?
Word Count Requirement
- Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- Second grade and above stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- Text must be written legibly or typed.
- Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Submission
- The entry must include a title.
- The author’s name should be written on the back of the submission. If submitting electronically, please note the author's name in your email. The author's name will be written on the back for you.
- Deadline for submission is January 25, 2019.
- Entries should be submitted to the AES school office at 515 N. Madison Street, Athens, AL or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org If sending by email, please put Writing Contest in the subject line.
Judging, Awards & Notification
- Entries will be judged by former and current Athens Elementary faculty members.
- Judges will look for personal reflections on the contest topic that best exemplify creativity and writing skill.
- Judges will use criteria based on the following:
- Relation to the theme with a personal connection
- Creativity and originality
- Writing skills
- Winners will be notified through the ACS/AES website and social media on January 28.
- All decisions of the judges are final.
- One winner will be chosen from entries written by former AES students.
- One winner will be chosen from entries written by current AES students.
- Winners will be asked to read their winning essay at a Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence celebration at Athens Elementary on January 31.
- Winners will receive a $50 gift card in addition to being honored at the Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence celebration.
By submitting an essay or other written piece for consideration, the contestants grant Athens City Schools the right to use the submission, either in whole or in part, for marketing or other promotional purposes. All submitted pieces of work may be posted on official Athens City Schools social media outlets and may appear on Athens City Schools websites.