Phone: 256-233-6613 ext. 8009
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor's Degree- Special Education (Univeristy of Alabama)
Mrs. Katie Beth McCay
My name is Katie Beth McCay. I graduated from the University of Alabama in 2014 with a B.A. in Collaborative Special Education. I began teaching at AHS in November 2014. I currently teach 11th, 12th, and transition SOAR students. I also serve as the assistant coach for the AHS girls soccer teams.
In my class we focus on both academics and life skills. My students work towards the Alabama Extended Standards. The Alabama Extended Standards are extensions of the state academic content standards for each grade level. They are designed to allow students to progress toward state standards while beginning at each student's present level of performance. We work daily on developing and/or bettering social and life skills. The students participate in cooking, laundry, and cleaning activities weekly. My goal is for each student to become as independent as possible before exiting Athens High School.
I love working at AHS because of the warmth and encouragement that the staff provides to their students and collegues. I have never seen a school that cares so deeply about the success of each of their students. Athens truly goes above and beyond to make each student's school experience a positive one. I am proud to be an Athens Golden Eagle!
- I am from Decatur, AL, where I graduated from Austin High School.
- I married my middle school crush, Alex, in June 2015. We currently live in Madison with our cat Sebastian.
- My hobbies include: exercising, hanging out with family, decorating, and outdoor activities.
- I LOVE: animals, the NBA, Alabama football, and fashion.
- My husband and I attend Church of the Highlands in Huntsville.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email or call me.