Student Transportation provides safe and compliant transportation for Athens City Schools students in Kindergarten through 8th Grade. It is the mission of the Athens City Schools Transportation Department, in accordance with federal, state and local regulations, to provide safe and efficient transportation to students of Athens City Schools. Our department follows the Alabama State Department of Education's Pupil Transportation guidelines and best practices. The ACS Transportation Department works to ensure that all bus drivers have the knowledge and resources necessary to provide safe transportation for the students each day.
Understanding Bus Stops in Athens City Schools
- All enrolled students in Kindergarten through 8th grade within district boundaries are eligible for bus registration with the exception of Athens High School and Athens Renaissance School.
- Buses are separated by grade groups; elementary (K-3), AIS (4-5) and AMS (6-8). Students are assigned a bus according to their grade level.
- All bus riders are picked up and dropped off at an area bus stop.
- Bus number, bus stop and bus pick-up and drop-off times will be provided to you by your school.
- Students must be enrolled in ACS and within district boundaries to be assigned to a bus stop. To enroll in Athens City Schools, please visit Student Services & Enrollment.
- Reminder, bus service is NOT available for Athens High School, Athens Renaissance School, Pre-K or out-of-district students.
- Questions or comments should be directed to your school.
How do I register for Bus Service?
Click here to Enroll in Athens City Schools (for students new to ACS). Bus registration is part of your PowerSchool new student enrollment process.
If your child already attends Athens City Schools, click here to complete Returning Student Registration for the 2024-2025 school year. Bus registration is part of your PowerSchool re-enrollment process.
- Bus registration should be completed at least 14 days prior to the first day of school.
- Bus number, bus stop and ,bus pick-up and drop-off times will be provided to you by your school.
- Please contact your school to make any changes to your student transportation plan.
- How do I find out the location of my child's bus stop?
- What time will my child be picked up and dropped off?
- Where are the bus stops located?
- What if I need to change my child’s pick up or drop off location?
- What if it's raining or bitter cold?
- What happens if school dismisses early?
- What if my child misses the bus?
- What if I want my child to stop riding the bus?
- How many students typically gather at any one bus stop?
- Why does Athens City Schools use bus stops instead of door-to-door service?
- Why does ACS not offer service for high school students?
- Who can I speak with if I still have questions?
- What if I need bus service after school starts?