Multiple Ways to Stay Connected
Effective communication is a priority at Athens City Schools. The Office of Communications provides various services to the Athens community in support of school, district and community-wide communications. We strive to ensure that our stakeholders are kept abreast of all relevant happenings in our district.
How We Communicate: Ways to Stay Connected
Follow us for first alerts. For breaking news, photos and events, follow Athens City Schools:
Athens City Schools App
- DOWNLOAD THE ACS APP Available for free in iTunes or Google Play. Search for "Athens City Schools."
- CHECK YOUR SETTINGS Set you phone and app settings to RECEIVE/ALLOW Notifications. If you do not allow notifications, you may miss an alert.
- SELECT YOUR SCHOOL Select the district and school(s) from which you wish to receive notifications (do this in "app settings").
- VERIFY THAT YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION IS CORRECT IN OUR SYSTEM NOW.
Blackboard Connect Mass Notification System
Athens City Schools uses a system called Blackboard Connect, a mass notification service that allows us to contact parents and guardians by telephone, text message, email and push notification through the Athens City Schools app. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide correct and current contact information to during registration/re-enrollment. Any updates, changes or questions regarding your family’s contact information are made at the school level. Blackboard Connect may also be used by schools to send out important information, notices or reminders from principals.
- UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION So that we can keep you informed, make sure your contact information is accurate and updated. Having a current email address, SMS text number and phone number is critical in notifying you. This information is gathered initially during the enrollment/re-enrollment process in SchoolMint. Any changes after re-enrollment must be done at the school level.
- DOWNLOAD THE ACS APP This allows you to receive push notifications. Available in iTunes or Google Play. Search for "Athens City Schools."
- CHECK YOUR SETTINGS Set you phone and app settings to RECEIVE/ALLOW Notifications. If you do not allow notifications, you may miss an alert. In app settings, select the school(s) from which you wish to receive notifications. Find a step-by-step guide to check your app and phone settings here.
Annual Report to Our Community
Athens City Schools prints and distributes the Annual Report to Our Community in the fall of each year. View the digital archive.
The Apple Orchard
Athens City Schools contributes a periodic column in the Athens News-Courier, our local print newspaper. Look for feature stories and articles of interest in the paper.
The Ledger Newsletter
Published quarterly, this newlsetter features stories about students, faculty and staff, programs and alumni. Story ideas and alumni updates are welcome. To submit news or ideas, email email@example.com. View The Ledger digital archive.
The communications office distributes appropriate and relevant district-wide email on behalf of various internal departments and parent organizations.
The communications office maintains and updates the district and school websites. For questions about the website , contact the communications office 256.233.6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Videography & Photography
We try to capture important moments on campus to tell the district's story on the web and through social media. To watch Athens City Schools videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Each School is responsible for parent and student communication efforts. The school principal is the facilitator of all school news. Each school has the ability to use:
- Blackboard Connect: Each school uses the Blackboard Connect Mass Notification System as noted in the above section. You may receive messages from the district and individual schools.
- Newsletters: Current parents, students and faculty and staff receive a school-wide weekly digital newsletter from the school principals at each school with the exception of Athens High School. To submit school news, contact the appropriate school principal.
- Social Media: Each school has an official Twitter and Facebook account.
About the Communications Department
The Office of Communications must approve all school or district communications pieces (digital and print) prior to distribution. ACS email distribution lists or directory information may not be used for promotional purposes. As a policy, Athens City Schools does not promote outside events, organizations or businesses.
Media professionals interested in Athens City Schools information, interviews, photographs or video footage should contact Dr. Chris Hamilton at 256.771.7145 or email@example.com.
THE ATHENS CITY SCHOOLS BRAND
Athens City Schools brand guidelines outline the appropriate uses of all district and school logos. This includes Athens colors, fonts and style guidelines. The use of logos or images is subject to copyright and approval from the Office of Communications. Learn more about the Athens City Schools brand.