About the Eagles Nest Pre-K Program
Eagles Nest Pre-K Registration is January 15 - March 23 2021-2022 School Year!
Get to Know the Eagles Nest
The goal of the Athens City Schools Preschool Program is to provide quality services to young children between the ages of 3 to 5 years of age with diverse abilities. Children will be given opportunities to gain developmental skills in a structured preschool environment. Developmental skill areas will be addressed through instruction, art, physical activities, music, self-help, the use of technology, and interaction with others. A preschool curriculum is used and will include those skills that will prepare each student for Kindergarten. The preschool classes are staffed with certified teachers and instructional assistants who meet the requirements for the State of Alabama and the Athens City Schools.
- The Eagles Nest is a tuition-based preschool program that consists of two classes housed at iAcademy at Athens Elementary School (AES).
- At least 50% of the class members will be students without disabilities.
- Each class will contain 50% or less of students with disabilities. The placements of students with disabilities will be made by Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams as appropriate to meet the needs of the student.
- Accepted students without disabilities will attend on a full-time basis (typically five days per week according to the Athens City Schools school calendar).
- Students with disabilities will be placed in the program via an Individualized Education Program (IEP) Team decision. The AES Principal and Exceptional Services Coordinator will oversee the placements of students with disabilities into the program.
The Eagles Nest follows the Athens City Schools academic calendar. Preschool classes begin at 7:45 AM and end at 2:00 PM. Students may arrive no earlier than 7:15 AM and must be picked no later than 2:20 PM.
Program enrollment will be available to children ages 3 and 4. Students must be 3 by September 1, 2021 and no older than 4 before September 1, 2021 to be eligible.
Tuition for the preschool program participation is $90 per school week. Tuition is due on the first business day of each week. Tuition will not be reduced due to holidays or cancellation of school. A late charge of $25 will apply if tuition is not received after 14 days. Parents may choose and will be encouraged to pay on a monthly basis. Tuition will be collected and receipted by the Preschool Program staff. Accounting policies and practices set by the Athens City Schools will be implemented and followed. Your child will be dismissed from the program if weekly tuition is not received for two consecutive weeks.
Online payment of the registration fee and Tuition is available on our district website: https://www.acs-k12.org/ . You will click on the “Pay Fees” button in the middle of the page which will take you to our online payment portal. After entering your child’s information, you may select “Preschool Registration Fee $35” or “Preschool Tuition $90”. Please inform Eagles Nest staff if you plan to pay fees/ tuition online to ensure receipt of payment.
Child Nutrition Program as part of the Eagles Nest
Children will have the opportunity to participate in the Child Nutrition Program as other students in Grades K-3 at Athens Elementary. All children attending Athens Elementary School will receive breakfast at no cost, and lunch is available through the Child Nutrition Program. CNP applications for free and reduced can be found online.
The Application Process
2021-2022 Application Dates
- January 15-March 23 Applications accepted.
- Early Summer - June 4 Acceptance notifications will be delivered by early summer of 2021.
There is no fee to apply to the Eagles Nest. However, if a student is accepted into the program, there is a $35 nonrefundable registration fee. Only accepted students incur the $35 fee.
Applications For Students Without Disabilities
With parental consent, students without disabilities will be screened using formal assessments for the preschool program to ensure developmental appropriateness. Screenings will be completed to determine any possible concerns with hearing, vision, speech/language, and overall developmental delays. Students will be invited to participate in the screenings based on the following criteria:
- Children of employees of Athens Elementary School receive 1st priority.
- Children of employees of the Athens City School System receive 2nd priority.
- Children who live in the Athens City Schools jurisdiction receive 3rd priority.
Parents will be notified in early summer 2021 if a student is accepted. If a parent is not notified of acceptance by the publised notice date, the student has not been accepted and is automatically placed on a waiting list. Once screenings are completed, preschool staff and school administrators will determine if the Eagles Nest is an apporpriate fit for the student. Students accepted into the program are notified. The parent must then secure the student's place by completing registration. A nonrefundable registration fee of $35 will collected at the time of registration which will hold the enrollment for the 2021-2022 school year. Registration will include an information form, a copy of the child’s birth certificate, a copy of the child’s social security card (optional), and blue card. Once slots are filled for each classroom, a waiting list will be maintained in order to fill vacancies as they occur throughout the school year. Parent/guardian can contact Athens City Schools Special Education office (256-233-6600) to inquire about the availability of the program.
Contact Athens City Schools at 256-233-6600 to speak with an expert regarding the Eagles Nest.