About the Eagles Nest Pre-K Program
Eagles Nest Pre-K Registration Opens January 31, 2020 for the 2020-2021 School Year. The application deadline is March 13, 2020.
Get to Know the Eagles Nest
The Eagles Nest Preschool Program provides quality services to young children with diverse abilities between the ages of 3 to 5 years. In this structured preschool environment, children are given opportunities to gain developmental skills through instruction, art, physical activities, music, self-help, the use of technology and interaction with others. A preschool curriculum is used and specifically includes those skills that will prepare each student for kindergarten. Our preschool classes are staffed with certified teachers and instructional assistants who meet the requirements for the State of Alabama and Athens City Schools.
- The Eagles Nest is a tuition-based preschool housed at Athens Elementary School (AES).
- Students must make application to attend.
- At least 50% of the class members will be students without disabilities.
- Each class will contain 50% or less of students with disabilities. The placements of students with disabilities will be made by Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams as appropriate to meet the needs of the student.
- Accepted students without disabilities will attend on a full-time basis (typically five days per week according to the Athens City Schools school calendar).
- Students with disabilities will be placed in the program via an Individualized Education Program (IEP) Team decision. The AES Principal and Special Education Director will oversee the placements of students with disabilities into the program.
The Eagles Nest follows the Athens City Schools academic calendar. Preschool classes begin at 7:45 AM and end at 2:00 PM. Students may arrive no earlier than 7:30 AM and must be picked no later than 2:20 PM.
The Eagles Nest tuition $90 per school week per student. Tuition is due on the first business day of each week. Tuition will not be reduced due to holidays or cancellation of school. A late charge of $25 will apply if tuition is not received after 14 days. Parents may choose and will be encouraged to pay on a monthly basis. Tuition will be collected and receipted by the Preschool Program staff. Accounting policies and practices set by the Athens City Schools will be implemented and followed. Your child will be dismissed from the program if weekly tuition is not received for two consecutive weeks.
Who Can Apply
Children ages 3 and 4 may apply. Students must be 3 by September 1, 2020 and no older than 4 before September 1, 2020 to be eligible.
The Application Process
2020-2021 Application Dates
- January 31 - March 13, 2020 Applications accepted.
- June 30, 2020 Acceptance notifications will be delivered by June 30, 2020.
There is no fee to apply to the Eagles Nest. However, if a student is accepted into the program, there is a $35 nonrefundable registration fee. Only accepted students incur the $35 fee.
Applications For Students Without Disabilities
Applications will be accepted beginning January 31, 2020. The application deadline is March 13, 2020. With parental consent, students without disabilities will be screened using formal assessments for the preschool program to ensure developmental appropriateness. Screenings will be completed to determine any possible concerns with hearing, vision, speech/language, and overall developmental delays. Students will be invited to participate in the screenings based on the following criteria:
- Children of employees of Athens Elementary School receive 1st priority.
- Children of employees of the Athens City School System receive 2nd priority.
- Children who live in the Athens City Schools jurisdiction receive 3rd priority.
Parents will be notified by June 30, 2020 if a student is accepted. If a parent is not notified of acceptance by June 30, the student has not been accepted and is automatically placed on a waiting list. Once screenings are completed, preschool staff and school administrators will determine if the Eagles Nest is an apporpriate fit for the student. Students accepted into the program are notified. The parent must then secure the student's place by completing registration. A nonrefundable registration fee of $35 will collected at the time of registration which will hold the enrollment for the 2020-2021 school year. Registration will include an information form, a copy of the child’s birth certificate, a copy of the child’s social security card (optional), and blue card. Once slots are filled for each classroom, a waiting list will be maintained in order to fill vacancies as they occur throughout the school year.
Contact Athens City Schools at 256.771.7136 to speak with an expert regarding the Eagles Nest.