First Class Pre-K Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now closed. Parents may still apply to be placed on the waitlist for possible future Pre-K spaces/classrooms for Spring 2022. Click Here for more information.
2022-2023 ALABAMA FIRST CLASS PRE-K
REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 15, 2022
What is the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness within the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Who is eligible to enroll in the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Children age 4 on or before September 1, 2022 (FY23)
- Children must live within Athens City Limits
- Required documents for enrollment: completed registration form, current utility bill (or proof of residency) and birth certificate. Upon acceptance, an Alabama immunization form will be required before your child enters school.
When is Registration?
- Online registration for the 2022-2023 school year runs from January 15th to March 22nd.
- Apply online at https://prek.alaceed.alabama.gov.
- Following the close of registration in the spring, interested students and families are placed on a waitlist.
How are the children selected?
- Selection is by lottery.
- The spring lottery selection will take place on March 23, 2022.
- The lottery will be held at the Athens City Schools Board of Education Central Office located at 455 US Hwy. 31 North, Athens, AL 35611. Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, the lottery will not be open to the public.
- Families will be notified of selection.
What is the cost for the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Tuition ranges from $40 to $300 per month and is determined by a sliding fee scale. The sliding fee scale is based on the annual 2019 Health & Human Services Federal Poverty Guidelines and Levels.
Alabama First Class Pre-K Sliding Fee Scale
Number in Household
$0 - $34,840
$34,841 - $52,260
$52,261 - $69,680
$0 - $43,920
$43,921 - $65,880
$65,881 - $87,840
$0 - $53,000
$53,001 - $79,500
$79,501 - $106,000
$0 - $62,080
$62,081 - $93,120
$93,121 - $124,160
$0 - $71,160
$70,161 - $106,740
$106,741 - $142,320
$0 - $80,240
$80,241 - $120,360
$120,361 - $160,480
$0 - $89,320
$889,321 - $133,980
$133,981 - $178,640
Where are the First Class Pre-K Programs located?
- There are six First Class Pre-K classes.
- There are two classes each at iAcademy at Athens Elementary and HEART Academy at Julian Newman. There is one class each at FAME Academy at Brookhill and SPARK Academy at Cowart.
First Class Pre-K registration opens on January 15th, 2022. Choose the button below to apply.
Apply January 15, 2022 - March 22, 2022
for the 2022-2023 School Year
Is there another preschool choice in Athens City Schools? Yes
- The Eagles Nest Inclusion Pre-K. Click here to learn more about the Eagles Nest.
- Ages 3-5
- It is tuition based.
- $35.00 registration fee
- Registration deadline for the Eagles Nest is March 23, 2021.
- For more information, contact Dr. Jessica Lynn at 256.232.0212.
For more information about the First Class Pre-K Programs in Athens City Schools please contact OSR First Class Pre-K Program Director Dr. Jennifer Sallee: 256-233-6600 ext. 6309 or firstname.lastname@example.org