2023-2024 ALABAMA FIRST CLASS PRE-K
What is the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness within the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Who is eligible to enroll in the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Children age 4 on or before September 1, 2023 (FY23)
- Children must live within Athens City Limits
- Children must be fully toilet trained
- Required documents for enrollment: completed registration form, current utility bill (or proof of residency) and birth certificate. Upon acceptance, an Alabama immunization form will be required before your child enters school.
When is Registration?
- Online registration for the 2023-2024 school year runs from January 15th to March 22nd.
- Apply online at https://prek.alaceed.alabama.gov.
- Following the close of registration in the spring, interested students and families are placed on a waitlist.
How are the children selected?
- Selection is by lottery.
- The spring lottery selection will take place on Friday, March 24, 2023, at 9:00 AM in the iAcademy at Athens Elementary Conference Room. This event is open to the public. A recording will be posted at acs-k12.org/prek at the conclusion of the event.
- Families will be notified of the selection during the month of April.
What is the cost for the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Tuition ranges from $40 to $300 per month and is determined by a sliding fee scale. The sliding fee scale is based on the annual 2019 Health & Human Services Federal Poverty Guidelines and Levels.
Alabama First Class Pre-K Sliding Fee Scale
Number in Household
$0 - $34,840
$34,841 - $52,260
$52,261 - $69,680
$0 - $43,920
$43,921 - $65,880
$65,881 - $87,840
$0 - $53,000
$53,001 - $79,500
$79,501 - $106,000
$0 - $62,080
$62,081 - $93,120
$93,121 - $124,160
$0 - $71,160
$70,161 - $106,740
$106,741 - $142,320
$0 - $80,240
$80,241 - $120,360
$120,361 - $160,480
$0 - $89,320
$889,321 - $133,980
$133,981 - $178,640
Where are the First Class Pre-K Programs located?
- There are six First Class Pre-K classes.
- iAcademy at Athens Elementary (2), HEART Academy at Julian Newman (2), FAME Academy at Brookhill (1) and SPARK Academy at Cowart (1).
First Class Pre-K registration opens on January 15th, 2023. Choose the button below to apply.
Apply January 15, 2023 - March 22, 2023 for the 2023-2024 School Year
Is there another preschool choice in Athens City Schools? Yes
- The Eagles Nest Inclusion Pre-K. Click here to learn more about the Eagles Nest.
- Ages 3-5
- Tuition based.
- $35.00 registration fee
- Registration deadline for the Eagles Nest is March 23, 2023.
- For more information, contact Dr. Jessica Lynn at 256.232.0212.
For more information about the First Class Pre-K Programs in Athens City Schools, please contact OSR First Class Pre-K Program Director Nick Looney at 256-233-6609 or firstname.lastname@example.org