About First Class Pre-K
First Class Pre-K Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now closed.
Parents may still apply to be placed on the waitlist for possible future Pre-K spaces/classrooms for Fall 2021.
- The First Class Pre-K Application is still open for anyone interested in joining the waitlist.
- Families who are already waitlisted from the initial spring pre-k registration period remain on the waitlist for the new classrooms.
- Parents who are already on the waitlist (from earlier in the spring) can resubmit an application with their location preference without affecting their status/posiiton on the waitlist.
- Questions? Email Dr. Jennifer Sallee at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness within the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Who is eligible to enroll in the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Children age 4 on or before September 1, 2021 (FY22)
- Children must live within Athens City Limits
- Required documents for enrollment: completed registration form, current utility bill (or proof of residency) and birth certificate. Upon acceptance an Alabama immunization form will be required before your child enters school.
When is Registration?
- Online registration for the 2021-2022 school year runs from January 15th to March 23rd.
- Apply online at https://alprek.asapconnected.com.
- Click here for the First Class Pre-K Parent Registration Guide.
- Following the close of registration in the spring, interested students and families are placed on a waitlist.
How are the children selected?
- Selection is by lottery.
- The spring lottery selection will take place on March 24th, 2021.
- The lottery will be held at the Athens City Schools Board of Education Central Office located at 455 US Hwy. 31 North, Athens, AL 35611. Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, the lottery will not be open to the public.
- Families will be notified of selection.
What is the cost for the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Tuition ranges from $0 to $300 per month and is determined by a sliding fee scale. The sliding fee scale is based on the annual 2019 Health & Human Services Federal Poverty Guidelines and Levels.
Alabama First Class Pre-K Sliding Fee Scale
Number in Household
$0 - $34,480
$34,481 - $51,720
$51,721 - $68,960
$0 - $43,440
$43,441 - $65,160
$65,161 - $86,880
$0 - $52,400
$52,401 - $78,600
$78,601 - $104,800
$0 - $61,360
$61,361 - $92,040
$92,041 - $122,720
$0 - $70,320
$70,321 - $105,480
$105,481 - $140,640
$0 - $79,280
$79,281 - $118,920
$118,921 - $158,560
$0 - $88,240
$88,241 - $132,360
$132,361 - $176,480
Where are the First Class Pre-K Programs located?
- There are three First Class Pre-K classes.
- Two classes are located at Athens Elementary, and one is located at Julian Newman.
First Class Pre-K registration opens on January 15th, 2021. Choose the button below to apply.
Is there another preschool choice in Athens City Schools? Yes
- The Eagles Nest Inclusion Pre-K. Click here to learn more about the Eagles Nest.
- Ages 3-5
- It is tuition based.
- $35.00 registration fee
- Registration deadline for the Eagles Nest is March 23, 2021.
- For more information, contact Dr. Jessica Lynn at 256.232.0212.
For more information about the First Class Pre-K Programs in Athens City Schools please contact OSR First Class Pre-K Program Director Dr. Jennifer Sallee:
256-233-6600 ext. 6309 or email@example.com