About First Class Pre-K
What is the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness within the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Who is eligible to enroll in the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Children age 4 on or before September 1, 2019 (FY20)
- Children must live in the Athens City Limits
- Submitted required documents: completed registration form, current utility bill (or proof of residency), blue immunization form (required before child enters school)
When is Registration?
- Online registration for the 2019-2020 school year was January 15, 2019 and ended March 26, 2019.
- Register online at https://alprek.asapconnected.com
- Following the close of registration in the spring, students are placed on a waitlist.
- UPDATE AS OF JULY 24, 2019: In July 2019, Athens City Schools received a grant for a new classroom at Julian Newman for the 2019-2020 school year. As a result, Athens City Schools is using the existing waitlist from spring registration to fill the newest Pre-K class at Julian Newman. These parents will be notified first.
- Because there may be additional slots to fill in the newest class at Julian Newman, registration is extended so that parents can apply to be placed on the waitlist for 2019-2020.
- Register at https://alprek.asapconnected.com
What is the cost for the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program?
- Tuition is FREE
- No registration fee
Where is the First Class Pre-K Program located?
- There are three First Class Pre-K classes.
- Two classes are located at Athens Elementary, and one is located at Julian Newman.
How are the children selected?
- Selection is by lottery.
- The spring lottery selection was drawn on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at the Athens City Schools Central Office located at 455 US Hwy. 31 N., Athens, AL 35611.
- Families were notified of selection.
Is there another preschool choice in Athens City Schools? Yes
- The Eagless Nest Inclusion Pre-K. Click here to learn more about the Eagle's Nest.
- Ages 3-5
- It is tuition based.
- $35.00 registration fee
- Registration for the Eagles Nest for the 2019-2020 school year is now closed.
More information: Beth Patton, Program Director, Athens City School Central Office
256-233-6600 ext. 1117 or firstname.lastname@example.org